Wednesday, March 26, 2008

long time gone

I feel like I have been on a roller coaster this month. The library has been hard. The new boss and the library board...sounds like the title of a bad book, huh. I guess there was a fuss at the board meeting about me going to conferences. Although I get travel and room and board from the conference organizers, they weren't sure I should receive my day's pay. Historically the library has always paid the wage of those at a conference...no one has ever presented before though. I thought presenting was a good thing for the library. Ahh, but the truth leeks a bit and maybe it is just me. Guess they don't want me representing the library. I'd be hurt but I am too busy. Some people just don't know how lucky they are! I guess they desire mediocrity... I simply cannot accept it. So I will just ignore it. Yup. This is me ignoring it. Yup. Meanwhile J. and I have successfully migrated the entire library to an open source ILS, Koha. Thank god we have such a great staff, I tell you what! There have been a few scattered problems with the ILS change over, but honestly it has gone much smoother than I thought it would. J. coded me a new MARC editor :) I love it. Which is where I need to stay...loving my job. Getting sucked into the petty squabbles of ego and control are NOT where I need to be. I love my job, I love the kids and the excitement of video game tournaments and sharing that with other libraries and librarians is my privilege. (I actually think on some level sharing what I know is a responsibility, beyond privilege..but that may be to grandiose for me) I go to the therapist April 8th. Crazy is only a few steps away. The sanest crazy ever.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Kieran,

I run into the same thing, although it has lessened over time as they've come to realize I give pretty good presentations and represent our org well. I'd get passed over to be on search committees or to go out to our regional centers to meet with faculty and students. Mostly out of ignorance and fear I suspect. The only thing we can do is swim against the current and prove them wrong and hopefully make it a little easier for those who come after us. Thanks so much for sharing via this great blog!

Peace and harmony,
Dana