Monday, February 18, 2008

Questions, assumptions and blank paper

The doctor said I has to see a therapist because if I wanted to transition because of a past trauma that was bad, but if I really felt 'that way' then it was ok. I have been thinking about that sentence for weeks now. It totally reminds me of this guy Brad and a conversation I had with him years and years ago about being adopted. Both he and I were adopted, and he had found this sheet of paper stating ten personality traits adopted people have. Being funny was one of them, funny, outgoing, insecure, sexually aggressive, trust issues, ... honestly I don't remember all ten, but they were all along those lines. They gave him comfort, a sense that it was ok to be who he was somehow. They pissed me off. The one about being funny just really pissed me off. I just kept thinking 'no, I am funny because I am funny, not because I was adopted.' I mean, shit, I have met some very not humorous adopted people. I just hate those generalizations. Plus it removes some of who I am and gives it to a situation, a situation that wasn't really my choices or decisions. Then again there is that line from that poem "Stick upon stick has weathered me drift wood. I am as much weathered as I am wood." I can relate to that, I mean sure experiences change a person for better or worse. Wouldn't be much fun if we didn't learn and grow. So am I who I am, am I a collection of experiences on a blank paper, or am I who someone else decides I am or am not? See this is all way too existential. What if I stop being funny, will that mean I am not adopted?

No comments: